Barry Michael Tikkanen
Network & Systems Administrator
Enterprising, motivated and dedicated IT professional with 25 years successful experience implementing hardware and software design, installation, administration and configuration. Proven analytic and problem-solving skills with a keen ability to assess needs, define requirements, develop value-added solutions, and execute technical resolutions that streamline and improve operating efficiencies. Successful in both team-based and self-managed projects requiring focus and commitment.
- Virtual Environments
- Solutions Design
- Systems Architecture
- Network Management
- Data Management
- Web Development
- Warehouse Integration
- Project Management
- Cyber Security
Exceed Consulting LLC
Byron Center, MI
09/2011 – Present
Senior Network Engineer
- Researched, purchased, developed and implemented hardware and software solutions for new and existing customers.
- Coordinated and completed multiple simultaneous projects with teams and alone. Including databases for Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Exchange email server, Intuit QuickBooks and Sage 50 Accounting Accounting packages, and Point of Sale systems.Designed, implemented, and managed, network infrastructure for an association of senior assisted living facilities.
- Designedand implemented IP-based video surveillance systems to meet customer needs.
- Surveyed, designed and implemented wireless network infrastructure solutions for both indoor and outdoor environments for multiple clients in several distinct markets. Hardware experience includes Ubiquiti, Meraki, Cisco, HP Aruba, and Ruckus wireless systems.
- Successfully created and constructed virtual environments with supporting hardware to meet current and future needs of customers.
- Installed and programmed customer phone systems for both new and existing customers.
- Created and implemented cross-site disaster recovery procedures with system backup and replication to off-site storage for both cloud infrastructure and data centersfor multiple customers.
- Developed and deployed network intrusion detection systems to monitor traffic and guard against internal breaches and external attacks to protect customer networks.
- Consultedwith clients to develop and implement business websites as requested.
- Implemented multiple LAN infrastructure upgrades for new and existing customers.
- Managedvarious environments from engineering and accounting to Point of Sales and utility billing.
- Standardized policies, manuals, website, and training process for all system users. Including ISO-9000, HIPAA, Sarbanes Oxley, Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity, and User Policies.
Byron Center, MI
05/1996 – 03/2011
IT System Administrator 05/1999 – 3/18/2011
- Researched, purchased, developed and implemented hardware and software solutions for new and existing departments. Coordinated and completed multiple simultaneous projects with teams and alone. Administered Microsoft Exchange email server with multiple user interfaces, which facilitated company communication.
- Successfullycreated and constructed virtual environment with supporting hardware to the expedite migration of business systems from physical to virtual servers. This enhanced speed, stability, and productivity for all users by 400%.
- Installed and programmed new 60 stations hybrid telephone system, throughout the facility, without service interruption, resulting in savings of $7K per year, and secured a three year ROI.
- Created and implemented multiple site disaster recovery procedures with system backup and off-site storage, which provided swift rebound.Designed and built new network intrusion detection system to monitor traffic and guard against internal breaches and external attacks, resulting in enhanced security and reduced threats.
- Competently designed, assembled and implemented new data collection hardware and software solutions for manufacturing, which included both touchscreen and bar-code scan input with on-demand labeling.This project resulted in efficient, effective tracking of inventory and personnel.
- Expertly managed and maintained ERP system, which included migration into updated Progress-based database management system.This upgrade resulted in enhanced productivity and improved departmental integration.
- Implemented major LAN infrastructure upgrade, which doubled system size to 150 nodes and included the installment of wireless access for the factory floor.
- Managed multiple environments for the engineering department.Coordinated software integration, migrations, and updates for ProEngineer, IntraLink, Wildfire, and AutoCAD. Maintained supporting client and server hardware. This expedited and facilitated efficient design standards through production processes.
- Standardizedpolicies, manuals, website, and training process for all system users. Developed and implemented ISO9000 document control procedures which improved quality control and enhanced productivity. Collaborated with departmental managers and all users to ensure superior employee training results.
- Designed documentation and instituted Sarbanes Oxley procedures for system compliance, exceeding document control requirements.
Quality Technician 01/1997 – 05/1999
- Established continuous improvement initiatives.Assisted with problem resolutions, prepared test reports and maintained customer feedback.
- Promotedto IT system administrator within 17 months.
Machine Operator 05/1996 – 01/1997
- Produced products efficiently with minimal waste.Maintained quality control to specifications.
- Promotedto quality technician within seven months.
Barman Select Temp Services
12/1994 – 05/1996
- Assembled products and product lines efficiently and precisely.Promoted to group leader for temporary employees.
- Operated plastic injection mold presses while ensuring quality processes were maintained.
- Promotedto direct hire by the client company.
Lakepark Industries Of Indiana
05/1992 – 07/1994
Machine Operator and Setup
- Performed safe, efficient setup and operation of resistance welders and press machinery ranging from 80 to 1000 tons, which contributed to profitable company production.
- Reliably maintained and inspected products for quality, resulting in reduced scrap.Trained in QS9000 documentation and procedures.
ARA Food Service
9/1991 – 12/1994
General Food Service
- Successfully interacted with customers and coworkers to promote efficient operation of the cafeteria.
- Infor Syteline
- QAD MFG/PRO
- MS Sharepoint
- MS Office Suite
- MS Project 2003
- SQL Server
- MS SQL
- Progress DB
- Java Script
- Crystal Reports
April 2017 – HP Aruba Aruba Certified Mobility Professional (ACMP) 3 year
July 2016 – 3CX Advanced (Advanced PBX Engineer) 5 years
GRAND VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY, ALLENDALE, mi
Seeking Bachelor of Science degree, senior level undergraduate
Engineering Major, manufacturing emphasis 1991 – 1994
Computer Science Major, programming emphasis 1994 – Present